Chicken and Sausage Stew.
You can have Chicken and Sausage Stew using 23 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Chicken and Sausage Stew
- You need 2 lb of boneless, skinless chicken thighs.
- Prepare 1 1/4 lb of Italian sausage links, hot or sweet or a combination.
- You need 20 of slices of pepperoni.
- It's 1 tbsp of butter, salted or unsalted.
- You need 1 of large onion, chopped.
- It's 3 of garlic cloves, minced.
- You need 1 of red bell pepper, cut into strips.
- Prepare 2 of poblano peppers, cut into strips.
- You need 8 oz of button mushrooms.
- You need 1 of celery stalk, sliced.
- Prepare 1 of large or 3 small carrots, sliced.
- You need 1/4 cup of dry white wine.
- Prepare 28 oz of can of whole italian tomatos with juices.
- You need 1 of 15 ounce can diced tomatoes with juices.
- You need 2 cup of low sodium chicken broth.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of heavy cream.
- Prepare of salt and pepper throughout recipe to taste.
- Prepare 1 tsp of Italian seasoning.
- Prepare 1/4 tsp of red pepper flakes.
- You need 1 tsp of hot sauce, such as Frank's brand.
- It's 1 1/2 tbsp of cornstarch mixed with 1 1/2 tablespoons cold water.
- It's 1/4 cup of fresh grated romano cheese.
- You need 1/4 cup of fresh chopped basil.
Chicken and Sausage Stew step by step
- In a large skillet on medium low heat saute pepperoni until crisp, remove from pan and reserve for garnish.
- Pat chicken thighs dry and season with salt and pepper. Add butter to skillet and melt and add chicken thighs and cook just until golden, only 1 to 2 minutes per side, it will cook more later. Remove to plate.
- Add sausage to skillet and brown, about 5 minutes they will also cook more in the stew. Remove sausage to a plate.
- Add all vegetables to skillet, cover abd cook on medium low until softened, about 10 minutes.
- Add white wine to skillet and increase heat and cook until wine is almost gone.
- Transfer vegetables and any liquid in skillet to stockpot or dutch oven, add sausage, cut into 1 inch slices, chicken thighs, all tomatos, broth, cream, italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, hot sauce, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook, uncovered on low, for 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally. Then remove chicken thighs too a bowl. Increase heat to a simmer and slowly, while stirring drizzle in the cornstarch mixture and cook until stew thickens some. About 4 minutes. Add romano cheese, and basil and return chicken, broken into bite size chunks. Then serve.
- Serve hot garnished with reserved pepperoni and additional grated romano cheese. Serve over pasta, rice or potatos or in a bowl with crusty bread for dipping.